Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ass kissers and snobs. Fans and famous people

 An ass-kisser and a snob are the same person.

I saw a famous person being interviewed for a small TV show. She was rude to the interviewer: frowning, questioning the questions, unresponsive.

Then I saw her being interviewed for a big TV show. She was kissing up to him: smiling, laughing, answering even the most probing questions, complimenting the interviewer.

Since then I’ve seen people I know do the exact same thing. I’ve also seen myself doing it.

People tend to be cold to their inferiors and warm to their superiors.

It works on people who aren’t aware of it: your boss will like your warmness and your underlings will think your coldness makes you even more important.

But to people who are aware of it it is ugly and easily manipulated: if you are cold to your boss he will stop feeling superior to you. If you are warm to your underlings they will stop feeling inferior to you.

I once saw a crowd of fans surrounding a celebrity. I joined the crowd hoping to get a look at the celebrity. Then I realized "Subjectively, he is only a celebrity because I am joining a crowd to see him. If I don't join the crowd he becomes nothing. If I don't know anything about a celebrity he ceases to be a celebrity and I cease to be a fan."

No comments:

Post a Comment